Glossary: Common Vocabulary, Acronyms and abbreviations
* AMRAP: As Many Reps (sometimes Rounds) as Possible
* ATG: Ass to Grass
* BP: Bench press
* BS: Back squat
* BW (or BWT): Body weight
* WU: Warm-up
* CLN: Clean
* C&J: Clean and jerk
* C2: Concept II rowing machine
* DHP: Dead hang pull
* DL: Deadlift
* DNF: Did Not Finish
* EMOM: Every Minute On the Minute
* FS: Front squat
* GPP: General physical preparedness, aka “fitness.”
* GTG: Grease the Groove, a protocol of doing many sub-maximal sets of an exercise throughout the day
* H2H: Hand to hand; refers to Jeff Martone’s kettlebell “juggling” techniques (or to combat).
* HSPU: Hand stand push up. Kick up into a handstand (use wall for balance, if needed) bend arms until nose touches floor and push back up.
* HSQ: Hang squat (clean or snatch). Start with bar “at the hang,” about knee height. Initiate pull. As the bar rises drop into a full squat and catch the bar in the racked position. From there, rise to a standing position.
* IF: Intermittent Fasting
* KB: Kettlebell
* KTE: Knees to elbows. Similar to TTBs described below.
* MetCon: Metabolic Conditioning workout
* MP: Military press
* MU: Muscle ups. Hanging from rings you do a combination pull-up and dip so you end in an upright support.
* OHS: Overhead squat. Full-depth squat performed while arms are locked out in a wide grip press position above (and usually behind) the head.
* PC: Power clean
* Pd: Pood, weight measure for kettlebells
* PR: Personal record
* PP: Push press
* PSN: Power snatch
* PU: Pull-ups, possibly push ups depending on the context
* Rep: Repetition. One performance of an exercise.
* Rx’d; as Rx’d: As prescribed; as written. WOD done without any adjustments.
* RM: Repetition maximum. Your 1RM is your max lift for one rep. Your 10 RM is the most you can lift 10 times.
* SDHP: Sumo deadlift high pull
* Set: A number of repetitions. e.g., 3 sets of 10 reps, often seen as 3×10, means do 10 reps, rest, repeat, rest,repeat. * SPP: Specific physical preparedness, aka skill training.
* SN: Snatch
* SQ: Squat
* SS: Starting Strength; Mark Rippetoe’s great book on strength training basics. Available right here.
* TGU: Turkish get-up (See exercise section)
* TTB: Toes to bar. Hang from bar. Bending only at waist raise your toes to touch the bar, slowly lower them and repeat.
* WO, sometimes W/O: Workout
* WOD: Workout of the day
* YBF: You’ll Be Fine (liberally applied in spray form)